Saturday, April 17, 2010

Characters

I absolutely love how the characters come alive in my head. A fellow writer friend of mine shared a conversation together about how the characters some time expresses themselves in our head.

I was telling him while I was writing The Forgotten Assassin, the character Reis was the bad guy the whole first half of the book. I was planning on him being bad and I was writing that he was bad although he never actually appeared in the book. He was only mentioned by other characters. Just as soon as I introduce him he came straight out inside my head and said "Hey I'm not the bad guy here. Look how wonderful I started out. I'm not bad I'm great." Next thing I knew he was telling me his story and I knew I had to tell his side of the story and there was just no way I could do this in this book. So I began writing his story right away, which is the Royal Assassin.

When my friend and I were discussing this we both laughed because I truthfully do hear their voices in my head. They speak dialogues with other characters and this is what flows through my head. I see them and even feel their emotions sometimes when they go through certain situations. It happens while I'm writing while I'm walking in the store driving in the car. Every place.

We joked around because if you told someone you hear voices in your head they would seek out professional help for you. However you tell another writer and they nod understandingly. Because they hear their characters speak in their heads too.

So we aren't crazy - we're writers!

No comments:

Post a Comment