Wednesday, September 26, 2012

M.A. Abraham - Author Interview

Now onward to my interview with M.A. Abraham. I do hope you enjoy reading her responses as much as I did.


SN: What types of books do you like to read? Who are your favorite authors? Why?

MA: I like a variety of books, everything from Science Fiction to Classics, with Fantasy being my favorite.  I enjoy reading stories that take you out of the world that surrounds you and gets you involved in their world.  There are a lot of really good authors who fit into that type of category. I have always enjoyed reading Anne McCaffrey, Christine Feehan, C.L. Wilson and Mary Stewart, to name a few.  I always have a TBR pile of anywhere from 100-200 books and can’t seem to get under that number no matter how hard I try.  I love books that make you imagination take over from where they leave off, or where you get so involved with the story you think “Oh My!”  I enjoy reading stories of love and laughter.  I am not a great fan of dark fiction… I believe there is enough pain in the world without creating more. 

SN: Do you have any writing rituals or habits?

MA: Over the years I have tried to create a proven ritual for myself that works… for me that is no more than wishful thinking.  It doesn’t seem to matter what I do, something or someone is going to interrupt the time I have set aside for my writing.

SN: How do you find the time to write?

MA: Everyone asks me that question and all I can say is that you make time.  If you have a busy day where there is no real time to call your own you sneak minutes in, I take pen and paper with me wherever I go.  When I get an idea I write it down.  I have been known to look as if I am anywhere else than where I am going, unless I am driving, then my focus is on the road and what is going on there.  Driving is serious and should never be taken lightly.

SN: Do you plot your stories or do you just get an idea and run with it?

MA: I do plot my stories.  They don’t always go in the direction I want them to even when I try to herd my characters to follow the storyline that I have mapped out for them.  Some tend to run contrary to where I want them to go.  Generally though, when I run into that type of situation I find that something deep inside of me is saying that what I had planned is wrong for the character or setting I am trying to set up.  Sometimes it is a good thing to let those you are writing about lead you by the pen.  They have a better idea where they need to be than you do on the average.
 
SN: Do you have to do much research for your stories?

MA: It depends on the storyline.  I used to spend hours, days and sometimes even weeks reading the Encyclopedia and now find that the things I researched during those days is invaluable now.  The research would start off with trying to solve one question, then mushroom until I had a multitude of questions solved.  I found it fascinating.  Sometimes my friends thought I was nuts.  I like nuts. :D  I know, my bad.  The information I have gathered over the years of exploration I have found invaluable.  Nor does it always come from a book… life is filled with lessons.

SN: Do you do a lot of editing or do you find that as time goes on your writing is more fully formed?

MA: I will be honest.  I am never completely satisfied with anything I write.  I think it can all be improved upon.  I am getting better.  I do believe there is some truth to the adage that practice makes perfect.  But I am resigned to the belief that I will never achieve perfection. 

SN: Do you have any pieces of work that will never see the light of day?

MA: Doesn’t everyone who writes?  I mean some thoughts end up being just too hokey for words.  You go back, read what you wrote and roll your eyes in disbelief as you ask yourself:  “How could I have ever been stupid enough to write something like that?”  Am I going to tell you about it?  Not for all the tea in China.
 
SN: Since you’ve been publishing your work, is there any mistake you made that you could share so others can avoid making it? 

MA: There are a number of mistakes that I have made.  Number one is; don’t rush your end product.  If you are not ready, you are not ready.  Your instincts will steer you in the right direction, if you will listen.  A good cover to your story is a must.  It draws the reader.  A poor cover will scare your audience off.  Make sure your synopsis is good enough to grab the imagination.  You are as good judging that as anyone… ask yourself, would you buy a book with the description that you wrote on it?  Always double check what you have done through a third person prospective.  I am not guilty on all counts here, but it gives the general idea.  I know I beat myself up over the cover of Gabriel, it was all-wrong for the product it was meant to represent.  Allowing your fans to dictate to you is another no-no.  Never lose track of the fact that you are human and have your limits.

SN: What led to you going your own way and becoming an Indie Author?

MA: It was another author who told me to follow this route.  It is how she was discovered, as she put it.  She says even going the way she did it took her years to find a reputable firm to accept her work.  

SN: Do you enter competitions? If so, are there any you could recommend?

MA: I never have, though I believe that it is a good idea.  The more you get your name noticed the better, but make sure that what you present is done well.  You want to be known for being able to write well, not just write.

SN: What do you do when you’re not writing? Do you have any hobbies or party tricks?

MA: I have done numerous things.  I helped run a business for many years, worked for Revenue Canada, things like that.  For hobbies, well it tends to fall into my “do I feel like it” list… I can crochet and satin stitch embroidery (like most any other girl).  I used to be an athlete, until I got hurt.  Does writing count as a hobby?  I also read… lots.

SN: Can you list the Elven Chronicles books in the order that you as the author would like new readers to read them?

MA: As I wrote them:  GabrielAngel’s HayloThePrice of BetrayalMarious’ StoryLociel’s Elite Guardian – King’s Champion – Celebration of Light.  Actually Celebration of Light is out of order; however, I didn’t want to wait a year to release a Christmas story. :D  
(I took liberty to add links to the books so you can investigate them on Amazon.com)

SN: Why did you choose to release Gabriel’s story first?

MA: It just seemed to be the thing to do.  Also, Gabriel is where it all started.  It is like the cornerstone of the Chronicles, and in a way the whole thing seems to unfold around him and Eden.  The order from King Daroth starts the whole ball rolling. 


SN: Do you have a favorite character in each of your books, aside from the lead? If so, which one and why?

MA: I cannot say that I really have.  I would almost say Serenity came as close as any.  It is hard to point out any of them and say that one.  They are each endearing in their own ways.  There are those who scream to evolve… like Marious in Gabriel.  Serenity in Marious’ Story… King Liessen… he is such a character.   I can see clearly into book 7

SN: Do you have a favorite scene or dialogue between your characters that you really enjoyed writing or one that often stands out in your mind?

MA: I think my very favorite scene has to be when Eden gives her grandfather the tear.   For me it was a very sentimental moment.  It was a time of closeness, of bonding, and discovery.  Eden is still doing things out of instinct as she learns who and what she is.  It also symbolized a chance for the future for the Elves who had been wronged, and a hope for the future.

SN: What is your most recent released book? Tell us a little about it.

MA: Lociel’s Elite Guardian is a short story… I don’t know if that qualifies.  It is not just a story of three men meeting their life mates.  It is the unification of their worlds.  It is a bonding of the different facets of their cultures, and the expansion of their beliefs and world.  It shows some of the differences and beliefs held between one type of Elf and another.  In some ways it mirrors our own prejudices and the steps some are willing to do to change things. 

SN: Are you working on releasing a new book now?

MA: I am working on two at the moment… King’s Champion, book 3 of the Elven Chronicles and Aura.   You will probably want to know a little about them. 
King’s Champion is Serenity and Torrent’s story.  It highlights the Elves who live on the other side of the portal and Daroth’s attempts to bring peace to a land that he has foreseen will someday be connect with his own Empire as the boundary fails.  He wants peace and prosperity for that world so their troubles will not become his.  As he tries to bring this all together and form a friendship with his future neighbor the story unfolds around the Elves he sets into play.  We also have to recognize Daroth is somewhat of a matchmaker.

Aura is a stand-alone story. A time travel romance.  The main characters are Aura and Thorn.  Aura is a young woman who has been raised in the modern world.  Despite living a sheltered life, her experiences with people are not happy ones.  Thorn is a man who has lived most of his life as a warlord.  He is a man of principle and might.  Aura wants only to be allowed to return to her own time, despite her unhappiness there.  Thorn believes she is the answer to his prayers.  It is, in many ways, a story of the power of faith and love.  

I want to thank Mary Ann for taking the time for this interview. I learned so much more about her and her writing and I hope you do too. 
Don't forget to check out her books and her website http://maabraham.com/

4 comments:

  1. Great interview! Loved the questions and the answers were awesome. I love the Elven Chronicles!
    Can't wait to have them all on my shelf :D
    My fave character is Marious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved doing the interview and I thought her answers were spot on!

      Delete
  2. Great Interview. Loved the insight on Mary Ann's writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Mary Ann did such a great job answering my very first interview, I may have to do another. :) I love her elves!

      Delete