Monday, September 3, 2012

Editing Round 1

Editing is not really all that fun and yet at times it can be, like when you finish the first round! Woo!

I do several edits. First one, catches some strange words here and there and punctuation mistakes. Grammar is usually caught here and there during spell check and such.

However I think I understand why it's really good to let another edit your work. I've discovered that I'm too close to my work. What I mean is that I will skip many errors I make because my mind skips them because I know the word that's supposed to be there. I think this is why at least one edit should be by someone who is reading for the first time.

That's not to say I don't find errors, because I do all the time. I also know I find many errors in other indie work I read and I think it's because of this reason. I think it's a blast to find errors in work that are mainstream published. It's like HA! We all make errors! No one is perfect!

Speaking of Editing - I'm curious, Am I the only one who watched the movie Twister and wondered who the heck edited this? The scene where they are dodging debris and the windshield of the truck is hit by the end of a combine and you hear the special effect of glass breaking and you see the windshield is smashed and then it cuts to next scene and no damage... It's like.. how did they miss that?

Oh and when watching the TV made movie of Dark Shadows, my daughter caught and pointed out a crew/stage member running along the balcony in a scene trying not to filmed. I admit, I thought that was awesome that she saw that and we had to re-watch it so I could see.

Just goes to show how very fallible we all are.


No comments:

Post a Comment